Monday, September 14, 2015

The Apple Tree

I. Love. The Apple Tree.

For a long time I only knew a little about this musical (mainly the songs "Oh, To Be a Move Star" and "Gorgeous"), and again, I am mad at myself for not learning it all sooner. *

This musical is 3 one-acts (The Diary of Adam and Eve, The Lady or the Tiger? and Passionella), my favorite being the first. I listened to the OBC cast and first of all, Barbara Harris is INCREDIBLE. How/why did she not do more musical theatre??? It's a horrible shame. She is so funny and she sounds amazing. Also in this cast? ALAN ALDA! Also a beautiful singer! WHAT IS GOING ON?? WHY DIDN'T THEY SING ALL THE TIME IN EVERYTHING??

Anyway, I don't care what anyone else says, this musical is great. I have heard things that sound much more dated than this does (a common complaint), plus the music is very clever and the plots surrounding each one-act are, too. I think it's very sweet and smart. And I want to be in it. So, make let's make that happen, universe.

The Apple Tree
Music by Jerry Bock
Lyrics by Sheldon Harnick
Book by Jerome Coopersmith, Sheldon Harnick, Jerry Bock




*I feel like a lot of people only know these two songs. I performed "What Makes Me Love Him" for a class once and the instructor asked, 2 minutes later, if I was at all familiar with The Apple Tree. I thought he was kidding -- he wasn't -- and he certainly didn't know I JUST SANG FROM THAT SHOW, SO YES I WAS FAMILIAR WITH IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment