Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Baby

Surprisingly, Baby is not on Apple Music. If I didn't already KNOW Baby, this would have been a big problem, but since I'm at home I can just listen to it on youtube as I write this. (Also, while searching for it, I had to scroll through a lot of nonsense featuring "Baby" in the title. I'm looking at you, Justin Bieber.)

To me, the MOST disappointing thing about Baby is that the "old" couple in the show --  the couple who say how they're so glad 20 years have passed since their marriage and all their kids are finally grown -- are FORTY-THREE. 43. 43-YEARS-OLD. How is it that anyone who is supposed to be in their early 40s the OLD couple, let alone, WHY did they have kids so early? Uggggh. Of course, I guess Lizzie and Danny are going to be in the same boat.

So, Liz Callaway is amazing in Baby, and I'm not entirely sure the Lizzie songs would be as popular if it weren't for her. (They are very popular, if you didn't know.)

This show is about 3 couples who either are, or want to be, pregnant. Sadly, PLOT TWIST, the ones who actually want to be pregnant are the infertile couple. Not every song is a home run (some aren't even a base hit), but overall Baby is pleasant and heartfelt, if not the deepest thing on earth.

Baby the musical
Music by David Shire
Lyrics by Richard Maltby Jr.
Book by Sybille Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment