Monday, September 14, 2015

Arms and the Girl

I can't believe I found a recording of this when I couldn't find a recording for so many others. There is very little information to be found about it online, but you can see the entire original cast.... which includes SO MANY people listed just as "Singer." Please, let's bring back the different singing chorus and dancing chorus. We could give so many more people jobs.

I like the very basic plot idea I've read ("A high-spirited American girl falls for a Hessian soldier during the Revolutionary War while attempting to save the American army from a British spy") and I laughed out-loud on a plane during the song "A Cow and a Plough and a Frau", Pearl Bailey's songs are good, but besides that, I have nothing of note to report.

Arms and the Girl
Music by Morton Gould
Lyrics by Dorothy Field
Book by Dorothy Fields, Herbert Field, Rouben Mammalian
playbill vault article

No comments:

Post a Comment