Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

I didn't expect to like this (I thought it would be like Nunsense -- popular, but I couldn't understand why) and I definitely didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

Granted, there were several moments when The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas made me suuuuuper uncomfortable (most of the moments with the men singing about their excitement to go there or whatever), but I listened to this several times because I really liked it. At first it was like listening to the music that plays in the background of the Frontier area of Cedar Point, but... better. Because it hooked me in the first 20 seconds.

The music is interesting and sometimes, like, fucking AWESOME ("Twenty-Four Hours of Love"), and even list songs have a good, unexpected melody. Some of the songs are really heartbreaking. There is such a great mix of 70s funk and country. You wouldn't think they'd go so well together.

Why do I feel for these women? Because they've made them real. I really want to see this, because I'm sure it's hilarious, as well as everything else.

I mean, it ran for almost 1600 performances on Broadway and is produced ALL the time, so obviously people like it. And there's no reason not to.

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Music and Lyrics by Carol Hall
Book by Larry L. King, Peter Masterson

No comments:

Post a Comment