Saturday, August 29, 2015

Aida

I remember when Aida came out and I remember when everyone was singing "I Know the Truth." I remember hearing how Heather Headley was incredible (which she is). But, I also remember Elton John's early music, which has edge and grit (yes, even just the piano based songs like "Tiny Dancer") and I really missed that in this music.

Obviously this is just my opinion, and I don't think it will be a popular one. Aida is just not for me. It's like Elton John needed to write a musical and wrote it how Andrew Lloyd Webber would write it. I wanted it to be edgier and more raw, not as polished. I mean, it's Elton John, he can do that. I know he changed as a songwriter since the 70s, but that is my favorite part of him: the weird, piano-based rock. It's awesome. It's WHY he's famous. I wish this had more of it. (Side Note: We'll get to it eventually, but I feel like he did succeed in sounding like his former, edgier rock self in Billy Elliot.)

But, I mean, "I Know the Truth" IS a really good song regardless.

Aida
Music by Elton John
Lyrics by Tim Rice
Book by Linda Woolverton, Robert Falls, David Henry Hwang

No comments:

Post a Comment